Heart diseases are the cause of 1 in every 4 deaths in the United States. In fact, coronary heart diseases (CHD) are considered the most prevalent killing more than 370, 000 people annually.
Prescribed medicines of such diseases are high on dosage and may have side effects on internal organs as well as health. Therefore, one must adhere to a healthy lifestyle by keeping a check on high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, weight, etc.
An inexpensive and distinguished method to keep the heart healthy is practice yoga. Moreover, the American College of Sports Medicine has proved that practicing yoga 20 minutes for 3 to 5 days in a week can maintain 65-90% of cardiovascular fitness.
There is a variety of yoga poses that you can practice for improving heart health. As per yoga teacher in Rishikesh, some of the best yoga poses for the same are:
• SetuBandhasana (Bridge Pose): To achieve maximum benefits, try to stay in the pose for at least 30 seconds. It stretches your neck, spine as well as chest and strengthens the back muscles. Practicing this pose on a regular basis improves blood circulation. Increased circulation in the body raises heart rate which intensifies heart health. It releases stress and anxiety and brings calmness to the brain. It also increases lung capacity and is believed to cure thyroid. It also cures high blood pressure, asthma, sinusitis, insomnia, and osteoporosis. Moreover, this pose is considered beneficial for pregnant women.
• Trikonasana (Triangle Pose): Practicing this pose 3-5 times on each leg stretches and opens up the groin, hamstrings, hips, calves, chest, shoulders and spine. It constrains the heart to pump blood in the body forcefully which in turn improves heart health. It also controls blood pressure and lowers cholesterol. Apart from enhancing heart health, it improves digestion and reduces back pain and sciatica. It also has a therapeutic effect on osteoporosis, flat feet, neck pain, and infertility.
• AdhoMukhaSvanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose): This pose is actually an inversion as it lifts the hips and head is dropped below the heart. It causes a reversal in the gravity pull and thus, increases blood circulation in the entire body. It stretches and strengthens muscles of the body; especially, the hands, shoulders, calves, hamstrings, back, and arches of the foot. The inversion in the pose compresses the abdominal muscles as well as organs of the digestive system including liver, kidneys, and spleen. It uses the natural weight of the body to tone the limbs and enhances balance. To know more amazing benefits of this pose, enroll for yoga therapy course in Rishikesh.
• Marjariasana (Cat Pose): Staying on the limbs and performing the pose correctly, increases circulation of blood as well as oxygen in the body. In spite of improved circulation, it enforces the heart to function rhythmically. It eventually improves heart health and prevents heart diseases. It stretches, strengthens and improves flexibility in the spine, wrists, and shoulders. The stretch releases tension and strain from the mind as well as body. It also improves digestion as it massages the digestive organs of the body.
• Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Practicing this pose improves heart health by opening up the heart and lungs and eventually, prevents coronary heart diseases. It gives a good stretch to the shoulders, chest, abdomen, and lungs. The stretch strengthens and brings flexibility to the spine. It activates the digestive system and hence, helps in weight management. It also tones up organs in the lower abdomen. Moreover, it looks after the functioning of the reproductive and urinary system.
Though these are just a few yoga poses for a healthy heart; to know more about such poses, look for a yoga teacher in Rishikesh.