When it comes to getting married, there’s a lot of focus on making sure all of the logistics are in place. Logistics are important, but so are you! The bride! Sometimes, the well-being of the bride gets overlooked. Not overlooked in the traditional sense, after all, everyone can’t wait to LOOK at you as you walk down the aisle. What we mean to say is that the brides are often so busy ensuring everything and everyone else is taken care of prior to the big day, they forget to prioritize their own wellness.
It’s no small feat to plan and execute a wedding, regardless of where in the world it may be. Today we want to draw attention to the many ways in which a bride can prepare herself for her big day. It’s an incredible day full of love and connection, and it’ll be that much more profound if you (the bride) are rested and feeling energized, ready to be fully present!
Without further ado, here are our three most important steps for brides to utilize to prepare before saying “I do:”
Step One: Nourish Your Mind
The journey of becoming engaged all the way to actually getting married is different for everyone. One common theme, though, is the feeling of a never-ending to-do list. As the big day approaches, gift yourself a calm, clear mind. Delegate as much as possible and trust those around you to do their jobs well. Start to shift into trusting the process, in general, so that you can free your mind from worrying over last-minute details. Allow the planning team at your venue to ensure everything is taken care of. Schedule yourself time to focus on your mental health and engage in any of these activities:
- Meditate. If you don’t have a meditation practice, this might be a fun time to start! Download the Calm App, or hire a meditation instructor.
- Disconnect. Take an hour, or more, to turn your phone off, read a book, lay by the pool, and not worry about responding to anyone or anything.
- Sleep. The last few nights before your wedding, try to get plenty of sleep. Sleep will help ensure your energy levels stay high so that your mind can handle any logistical mishaps, guest inquiries, and any pre-wedding jitters. Also, your actual wedding day is going to require a big chunk of energy!
- Laugh. Laughing does wonders for relaxing the mind. Watch the funniest movie or show you know of, or grab a particularly hilarious bridesmaid and let loose laughing!
Step Two: Nourish Your Body
On your wedding day, chances are you will be standing, walking, and dancing a ton. Each of those activities will feel better and be more sustainable if your body has been taken well care of, in advance. Every bride has her own methods of warming up for the big day, but here are a few methods we recommend:
- Yoga. Consider hiring a private instructor the day before or the morning of the big day, to teach you solo, or to teach your bridal party.
- Massage. Treat yourself to some serious relaxation and tension release before your wedding. A massage is more of a mind, body, and spirit experience, and will definitely prepare you for all the joy to come.
- Eat well. Eat the most nourishing foods. When life gets hectic, it can be easy to eat whatever is quickest, but your energy level largely depends on what you’re refueling your body with. We recommend eating lots of fresh foods filled with nutrients!
Step Three: Nourish Your Spirit
Mental and physical wellness are key, but it’s also important to nourish one’s spirit ahead of time as well. Especially considering how many other people and energies you will be interacting with leading up, and during, your special day. It may feel incredible to reserve a portion of the time the day before, or the morning of, your wedding to treat your spirit to some solo time. During your solo time we recommend any of the following:
- Take a long meditative walk in nature. A beach stroll, light hike, anything to get you out and breathing fresh air, clearing your spirit of any tension that may have been building.
- Be in water. Floating, swimming, and just being in and near water can be deeply calming for the spirit.
- Indulge in all of your favorite things. The day before and the day of your wedding, surround yourself with everything that brings you the most joy. You already know you’ll be surrounded by everyone you love most. We’re talking sip your favorite coffee or tea, eat your favorite foods (ones that also leave you feeling nourished), listen to your favorite music, engage in one or more activities that leave you feeling grounded and joy-filled.
- Journal. Write a love note to your future spouse. Write a love note to yourself. Jot down your thoughts. Write a poem. Draw, even. Release whatever may be present, whether it be emotions, creative energy, or the desire to remember how you were feeling during this time of your life.
Alright, you’ve got our tips for brides, and now it’s time to implement them! Or at least, have them ready to go when the time comes. If you’re still shopping for a venue and wedding planning team to help make your wedding dreams come true, you’ve landed in just the right spot. Exchange nuptials with the glittering Caribbean Sea behind you! Go ahead and take a glance at the possibilities for your wedding on Curacao.